Web site contributor 'Bunny' remembered the "Old Gay 90s" as being a piano bar and showtunes place next door to the Royal Hotel. This was not necessarily a gay bar but it was most definitely a gay hangout.
Research by Michail Takach found the "Gay 90's" bars was in three locations over its life, with registered owners as shown:
Gay 90s; 756 N Plankinton (1950-1954) - owner Gordy Tobin
Gay 90s; 433 W Michigan (1954-1968) - owner Ben 'The Baron' Siegel
Somehow, none of these iterations ever made it into one of the national "gay guides". Perhaps the editors thought the contributor's submission was a joke or hoax because of the name!
The 1950's incarnation also had food available (as indicated by the January 1950 advertisement to the right).
The final location was also known as "Baron's Gay 90s". It was open until the block was cleared in 1968 for parking for the Royal Hotel.
More information about this business is welcomed from anyone who can contribute it.
Credits: Web site concept, design and arrangement by Don Schwamb.
Information, photos and advertisements researched and contributed by Michail Takach.
Last updated: May-2021.
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.